1948 - 1957
Traditionally, waterproof switches were made of cast resin or porcelain. Berker’s moulded-plastic rotary switch was therefore a real innovation. With the thread of the rotary switch pressed into top of the gland, and the shaft fitted with a grease chamber
seal, the switch was so waterproof that the basic design features remained unchanged for decades.
Encouraged by the remarkable success of its patented flush-mounted triple socket-outlet, Berker followed up with a multi-socket table-type model in 1950.
When it’s dark, people search for light. Yet how can they find the switch if it’s still dark? Berker’s solution was to develop a switch in which the word “Licht” glows softly in the pushbutton as soon as darkness falls.
In the 1950s, electricians learned the virtues of the OSTA system. Jointly developed with AEG — the corresponding product series at Berker bore the name “Imputz” - OSTA was designed to enable largely dust-free installation without the need to use a chisel. The Imputz switch pictured below also featured a small lamp to indicate whether the light in the room beyond was switched on or not.
The covers that came with this switch were as colourful as any piece of modern art - which is why the vivid prototype was named "Chagall".
However, it never made it to market.